Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, September 2, 2012

Every Day by David Levithan (Adult Book)

For my second "official" book review, I'm excited to review the book Every Day by David Levithan

How I Heard About It:  I have had this book on my Goodreads "to-read" list for quite a long time.  I can't quite remember how I heard about this book, but I do believe it was on Twitter.  I was thrilled when it came out last week. 

What It Is About:  The story revolves around the character of A.  He/She is a teenager that wakes up each morning in a new body of another teenager.  A spends the days in that person's body and lives their life for one day.  On one particular day A meets a girl and things start to get difficult.  How do you carry on a relationship when you are someone new each and every day? 

What I Thought Of It:  I was absolutely engrossed by this novel.  Once I started I could not put it down.  Even though it was written for teenagers, it was just as interesting to me as an adult reader.  I'm not sure if this book would be considered science fiction, but it is like nothing else I have read.  The story of A and his daily adventures kept me interested and wondering where the story was going to go and how it would all be wrapped up.  Another positive aspect of this novel was how the author included issues involving teenagers such as appearance, peer groups/peer pressure, sexuality, and acceptance. 

Who Should Read It:  Even though this book is targeted toward teen readers, I think adult readers would also enjoy it.  The premise is so different and unique.  The story line draws the reader in right away and doesn't let up until the very last page.  I was able to read the book over a two-day period.  I don't think it would be appropriate for readers under 9th grade, but a great fit for anyone older than that!  Enjoy...

No comments:

Post a Comment