Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Monday, February 4, 2013

Music Monday #1 (The World's Greatest by R. Kelly)

Welcome to my new weekly blog feature.  I call it Music Monday and it comes from something I do with my fourth graders each Monday.

Each Monday, I present a song to my class during our Writer's Notebook time.  I also give them a "song sheet" which contains the lyrics to the song.  We listen to the song as a class.  The writers either listen to the music or follow along with the lyrics page.

I then share with the students what I have written about this particular Monday song.  I share where I heard the song, what I like about the song, what it might remind me of, or memories it has for me.  They love seeing what I have written and it gives them a glimpse into my life.  As we all know, we have to take risks as writers.

We listen to the song a second time and while they open their ears to some "meaningful" music, they write an entry in their writer's notebook.  Again, it can be about what they enjoy in the song, what they don't enjoy about the song, things it reminds them of, or any other connections they can make to the song.

My writers LOVE our Music Mondays and they can't wait to see what song will be featured each Monday.  As of today, we have listened to 18 different songs.  I've included our list below this blog entry.

I try to pick music/songs that have a particular meaning or message I want to convey to my students.  Some weeks the songs are of a serious nature and other weeks it just ties into a time of the year or something we are currently doing in our class.  I also post a "video" of the song to our class Moodle site so the writers can see a visual representation of the song.   

If you want any further information about "MUSIC MONDAY", please feel free to connect with me.  I would be happy to share.  Each Monday, I will also post here what song we listened to at school.

Happy Reading and Happy Listening!  Here is the video to the song...


Happy Reading and Happy Listening...


Our Music Monday List for 2012-2013...

Music Monday #1 (What I Am by Will I Am)
Music Monday #2 (Proud by Heather Small)
Music Monday #3 (Good Time by Owl City & Carly Rae Jepsen)
Music Monday #4 (Dreamer by Chris Brown)
Music Monday #5 (Home by Phillip Phillips)
Music Monday #6 (Count on Me by Bruno Mars)
Music Monday #7 (Louder by Charice)
Music Monday #8 (Thriller by Michael Jackson)
Music Monday #9 (Firework by Katy Perry)
Music Monday #10 (Over the Rainbow/What a Wonderful World by Israel Kamakawiwo ole)
Music Monday #11 (Hall of Fame by The Script with Will I Am)
Music Monday #12 (Shooting Star by Owl City)
Music Monday #13 (Man in the Mirror by Michael Jackson)
Music Monday #14 (Do They Know Its Christmas by Band Aid)
Music Monday #14 (Do They Know Its Christmas from Glee)
Music Monday #15 (Take a Look at Me Now by Greyson Chance)
Music Monday #16 (My Wish by Rascal Flatts)
Music Monday #17 (Dream Big by Ryan Shupe and the RubberBand)
Music Monday #18 (The World's Greatest by R. Kelly)

No comments:

Post a Comment