Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Monday, March 11, 2013

Timmy Failure - Mistakes Were Made by Stephan Pastis

How I Heard About It:   Through Twitter of course.  It is always fun when you start to see the same title pop up from different people.  The title goes on my radar for a future purchase.  When I walked into the bookstore the other night and saw a huge display for this book, I knew it was time to buy it! 

What It Is About:  This is a light-hearted story that I know young readers will totally eat up.  Timmy Failure is running his own detective agency.  He also has some competition with certain classmates.  What is enjoyable and funny about Timmy, is that he isn't the "brightest" detective and the reader will definitely find humor in his thinking and actions.  Timmy lives with his mother and they are facing several changes in their life.  His mother has brought a new friend into their lives and they are also moving.  All of these changes affect Timmy and his agency.  Another unique aspect of this story is Timmy's sidekick.  His companion is a polar bear.  Yes, you read that right!  The adventures these two have are fun, humorous, and engaging.  There are also wonderful illustrations to go along with the story. 

What I Thought Of It:  Even though this was a 300 page book, I read it in one sitting.  I found myself not wanting to put it down and to get to the end to see how it all wrapped up.  It is an extremely engaging story and draws the reader in right away.  Even at age 46, I enjoyed the story immensely.  I know in my heart this will be a story that young readers will enjoy. 

Who Should Read It:  This is definitely a story that all readers can handle on their own.  Any solid reader in grades three and above would be able to read this story on their own.  I think it needs to be read individually because the pictures and illustrations are such a huge part of the story.  As I was reading this book yesterday, I had a student in mind of who would love this story.  I passed it on to him this morning and he almost didn't put it down all day.  To me that says it all!  Happy Reading...

No comments:

Post a Comment