Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Thursday, August 8, 2013

Interrupting Chickens by David Ezra Stein

How I Heard About It:  I was at a workshop today presented by Donalyn Miller.  There were many books on display to purchase and when I saw this one, it reminded me that I wanted to add it to my collection of picture books. 

What It Is About:  This is a cute little story about Little Red Chicken and her bedtime.  She wants Father Chicken to read her a bedtime story.  She gets so excited and involved in the story that she keeps interrupting her father while he reads.  She always has a Little Red Chicken save the day in the story Hansel and Gretel, Little Red Riding Hood, and Chicken Little.  There is a great twist at the end of the story and I won't spoil that here. 

What I Thought Of It:  I absolutely loved this picture book.  I loved the story line.  I loved the illustrations.  I mostly loved the theme that was presented in the story.  I think this will be a great book to use at the beginning of the school year.  It will be such a fun and entertaining story to share with my class.  I know they will get a kick out of it.  I also think it will be great to bring in the traditional stories that were mentioned during the story.  

Who Should Read It: .Everyone should read and enjoy this story as much as I did.  It would make a wonderful read aloud to any grade level.  I think any listener at the various grade levels, will be able to gain something different from the story.  I also think all kids should read this story on their own so they can appreciate all the excellent illustration.  This was a Caldecott Honor Book.  Happy Reading...

Rating:  5 Stars out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment