Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, August 4, 2013

One Last Thing Before I Go by Jonathan Tropper...

How I Heard About It:  I had read This Is Where I Leave You by Jonathan Tropper several years ago and thought it was a rewarding read.  When I saw this book in hard cover on the bargain table at the book store, I purchased it.  It sat in my TBR pile for maybe a year or so.  I picked it up this past week and couldn't put it down. 

What It Is About: Silver is a washed-up one hit wonder band member who lives in an apartment complex with other "dead-beat" men that have lost their way.  He is divorced with a teenage daughter who doesn't like him much.  Silver's X-wife is about to get remarried when he finds out his daughter is pregnant.  During this same time, he learns he has a medical condition that requires surgery and if he doesn't, he could die.  Silver decides to try to get his life back on track, make amends, and not to have the surgery.  The novel follows his journey trying to reconnect with his daughter, his X-wife, his parents, and probably most importantly himself.  

What I Thought Of It: Even with the heavy themes in this book, there is a lot of  humor and I had many "laugh-out-loud" moments.  Silver isn't the kind of guy you want to like, but as you read page after page, you begin to really root for him.  The relationship he has with his daughter and X-wife is completely unique and contains many humorous exchanges between the characters.  It was a compelling story on many levels and I found that as I got further into the story, I couldn't put it down.  Even though it took me awhile to pick up the book and read it, I'm so glad I did.  It is a great novel and one that I know many people will enjoy.   

Who Should Read It: Anyone that has read anything by Tropper, will certainly enjoy this novel.  If you haven't read any of his work, this would be an excellent one to start with.  It is a highly enjoyable work of fiction that adult readers will truly enjoy.  The story line can be heavy at times with many important themes, but also contains an underlying element of humor and fun.  I definitely recommend this book.  Happy Reading! 

No comments:

Post a Comment