Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, September 28, 2013

The Lonely Lake Monster by Suzanne Selfors...

How I Heard About It:   My fourth grade class read the first book in this series called The Sasquatch Escape for the first selection of our Breakfast with Books book club.  The book club will be "chatting" over bagels on Friday, October 4th.  The class and I were excited about the release of book number two that came out on September 17th.  I of course bought a copy to add to my classroom.  We will be Skyping with the author on October 4th.  Some of the readers in my class ordered book number one and/or book number two that will be autographed by Suzanne.  What a great opportunity for my students.  



What It Is About:  The Lonely Lake Monster takes up right where book number one left off.  Pearl and Ben are reporting for duty at the Worm Hospital.  They main goal is to find some more imaginary creatures like they did when they came across the Sasquatch in the first book.  This time around they meet a lake monster that is lonely and kidnaps Ben and brings him to his lonely island.  Since Pearl thinks this situation is her fault, she does everything in her power to rescue Ben from the lake monster.  She enlists the help of a leprechaun that she finds in the Worm Hotel.  At this point, things just go from bad to worse.  The doctor finds out about this breaking of the work "contract" and has a surprise or two for both Pearl and Ben.   

What I Thought Of It:  My students that have finished book number one have expressed their love of the book just as much as I enjoyed it.  The second installment will not disappoint.  Although there wasn't as much "action" in The Lonely Lake Monster, it is still a satisfying sequel.  The story brings in the reader in with a unique, special, and just plain fun approach.  I'm so glad that I came across this series and it is becoming a "must-read" for my students. 

Who Should Read It:  Because this is a shorter chapter book with illustrations, I think the book is appropriate for students in grades three and four.  The books have been perfect for my average and struggling readers in my class.  The format is reader friendly.  I also believe either the first book and/or the second book would make for a strong read aloud in grades two through five.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  4 Stars out of 5 Stars


No comments:

Post a Comment