Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, October 19, 2013

The Year of Billy Miller by Kevin Henkes...

How I Heard About It:   This was a book that I kept hearing about on Twitter.  I also saw it at several different book stores.  When our school librarian showed me that she had received a copy of it, I grabbed it from her and brought it home to read.   

What It Is About:  The book is broken down into four sections that take the reader through a year in the life of Billy Miller.  Billy is starting second grade which brings a year of change for him.  If I remember right, one section focuses on Billy's teacher, one section on Billy's dad, one section on Billy's little sister, and the final section on Billy's mom.  Billy moves along through life during his second grade year with some ups and of course some downs.  He is your typical little boy trying to figure out the world around him; including his school and home environment.  The story wraps up with Billy presenting a poem at the second grade poetry fair.  The poem is about his mother.  

What I Thought Of It:   This is definitely a chapter book for early readers.  I found the story line pretty simple, but endearing at many different parts.  As I read more and more about Billy, I began to really find a soft spot in my heart for him.  There is not a lot of action, drama, or problems in this story, but that doesn't have to be a negative thing.  

Who Should Read It:  As I mentioned above, I think this would be the perfect book for beginner readers of chapter books.  Since the story is about a second grader, I believe it would make a perfect read aloud for students in second grade.  I have already recommended it to my second grade teacher friends.  Students in third grade may enjoy reading this book on their own.  It could also be used in first grade toward the end of the year to preview what second grade might be like.  

Rating:  3 STARS out of 5 Stars!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment