Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Reading in the Wild by Donalyn Miller...

How I Heard About It:   One book that completely validated me as a teacher and my passion for bringing the love of reading and books to my students was Donalyn Miller's The Book Whisperer.  Before reading the book I always felt "alone" as far as my goals, wishes, and dreams for my students went.  After reading The Book Whisperer I realized there was a whole community out there who believed as I did.  One of the most refreshing and "life changing" events in my career.  Since reading Donalyn's first book, I became Twitter pals with her, met her in person, and had the honor and privilege of reading her new book Reading in the Wild.  

What It Is AboutAs I type this, I realize I don't have to tell my blog audience what the book is about because I'm sure most of you have already read the book.  If you haven't, then you need to as soon as possible.  Each year after my students leave my classroom and I would chat with them in the following years, I realized they hadn't kept up the reading they did in my classroom.  When I heard the new book was addressing this exact issue, I couldn't have been more pleased.  Reflecting on the book, what I found most helpful was how Donalyn broke the "lessons/tips" into sections...

*Wild Readers Dedicate Time to Read
*Wild Readers Self-Select Reading Material
*Wild Readers Share Books and Reading with Other Readers
*Wild Readers Have Reading Plans
*Wild Readers Show Preferences 


What I Thought Of ItWell, what can I say that I haven't already said.  I absolutely LOVED this book and was so worth the wait.  The ideas, thoughts, and tips offered in the book were just what I needed at this point in my twenty-three year teaching career.  Every page brought me information that I can directly use with my own wild readers.  Donalyn hit it on the head when she discusses the fact that teachers can "create" an environment for our students to read in, but what happens to them when they leave our classroom.  I know this resource will become a staple for me and my teaching.  It will guide me in helping me ensure that the students that cross my classroom door, will definitely become WILD READERS!  

Who Should Read It:  Of course everyone should read this book.  I'm pretty sure most of you have.  Be sure to spread the word about the wonderful resource.  I truly believe that anyone that works with young readers and wants to instill a passion for books and reading, has to read the book.  Not only should they get Reading in the Wild, but also the first book The Book Whisperer.  Happy Reading and thanks Donalyn for bringing me this gem of a book...

Rating:  5+++ STARS out of 5 Stars


No comments:

Post a Comment