Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, November 24, 2013

The Mouse with the Question Mark Tail by Richard Peck...

How I Heard About It:  Looking back I remember seeing this book on the book shelf in the local book store and also hearing about it on Twitter.  I purchased it, but it sat by my bedside for quite a bit of time.  After creating a post of "must-reads" for fourth graders, this book title was mentioned again.  It was time to read it.

What It Is About:   "Mouse Minor" is a tiny mouse that lives in Buckingham Palace during the Queen's Jubilee.  He can't seem to find his spot in the world, he can't seem to fit in with the rest of the mice, and he can't seem to know where he is headed in life.  All of these questions lead him on an adventure through the castle, through the grounds, and through life.  He meets other animals and people along his journey that each teach him a thing or two about himself, his life, and what is truly important in life.

What I Thought Of It:   To be honest this book wasn't for me.  I struggled during parts of it and found myself wondering if young readers would enjoy this story.  The book has many pages of description and some pretty "deep" thoughts.  I definitely thought the story was written on a high level that all readers might not be able to relate to.  Personally, I love animal stories and sharing them with my students, but I'm just not sure this book will appeal to my readers.  I'm always glad to read a book no matter how much I enjoy it because I know I always get something out of it.

Who Should Read It:  At first I thought this would be a good read aloud, but I'm not sure it would hold the listener's attention.  I'm sure there are readers out there who would enjoy the story of "Mouse Minor".  I definitely think this book is geared toward fifth and sixth grade readers.  Give it a shot!  The story might be just what you are looking for.  Happy reading...

Rating:  3 STARS out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment