Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Monday, November 11, 2013

Treasure Hunters by James Patterson and Chris Grabenstein...

How I Heard About It:   While Skyping with Chris Grabenstein about his book Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library, he mentioned this new series that would becoming out this fall.  When I saw it at the book store I had to purchase it.  After reading it, I decided that it would be our November book club selection for "Breakfast with Books".  

What It Is About:  Four kids and their parents are treasure hunters.  They reside on their ship and have had many adventures searching for different treasures.  As the story begins they are beginning the biggest treasure hunt of their lives.  The kids are in search of their mother who has gone missing and their father who may or may not be dead.  While they search for their parents they come across some interesting and shady characters, some interesting and scary situations, and some interesting and quick thinking moments.  The reader will be on a wild ride from the very first page until the last page.  This is the first book in a series and the ending of the story (part one) will leave the reader wanting more in book two.  

What I Thought Of It:  I found this book to be an enjoyable and fun read.  So enjoyable and fun in fact that I picked it for my "Breakfast with Books" book club.  Some of my students are currently reading it for the month of November.  The story was fast-paced and had some great twists and turns.  The biggest amount of joy that came from this book was the fact that I knew my readers would eat this type of story up.  The illustrations that were scattered throughout the book added greatly to the text of the story.  This is definitely a novel that needs to be a part of a classroom collection.  James and Chris know how to reach our young readers.

Who Should Read It:  My fourth grade readers can handle this book easily.  The novel is on the longer side, but reads quickly because of all the illustrations included in the book and there isn't an overly amount of text per page.  If young readers are going to read this book alone, I think they should be in grades four-six.  Treasure Hunters would also make a great read aloud for grades three-six.  If you are an adult reader that happens to enjoy middle-grade novels, you will also enjoy the story.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars!




No comments:

Post a Comment