Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, December 1, 2013

Battle Bunny by Jon Scieszka and Mac Barnett

How I Heard About It:  This is a title that kept popping on Twitter.  About a week ago I ordered several different books and this was one of them.  As I was relaxing last night (and watching an episode of Downton Abbey) I read this little gem of a book.  

What It Is About:   What a creative and fun picture book.  This book actually comprises two different stories.  The first story (the original) is about a bunny trying to celebrate his birthday, but none of the other animals remember.  The second story is told by the "reader" of the book who doesn't like the first little sweet story.  He (or she) decides to spruce it up a bit, add a bit more action, and a high energy story is what follows.

What I Thought Of It:  I have never seen a picture book like this before.  Such creativity is on each and every page.  To be honest, I had to read the story several times to completely absorb and take in both stories.  Each time I read it, I enjoyed it even more.  Both stories are enjoyable to read.  The illustrations are incredibly cool to look at, and the "added" text and pictures are over the top fun!

Who Should Read It:  My first thought was to read this book to my class.  Then I realized the reader should have the book in their hands so they can take everything in.  I can't wait to share this with my students tomorrow when we get back from Thanksgiving break.  This is the perfect book for readers in grades three through six.  Actually, adult readers will enjoy it just as much.

Rating:  5 STARS out of 5 Stars


No comments:

Post a Comment