Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, April 5, 2014

Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk by Ben Fountain...

How I Heard About It:  One of my favorite things to do is to browse Amazon looking for new titles that might interest me.  I came across this novel over a year ago.  According to the reviews and high marks, I bought the book.  It sat on my shelf for quite some time.  I decided to chose it when it came time for me to pick a book for my BBC (Boy's Book Club).  

What It Is About:  Billy and his Bravo Troop are home on a leave from fighting the war in Iraq.  They have been traveling the United States as a type of promotional tour.  One of their stops is a Dallas Cowboys Football Game.  They are going to be honored during the halftime show where Destiny's Child will be performing.  During this leave Billy has also spent a bit of time with his family in which he tries to fit in and not make things worse for his mother and his sisters.  The Troop is also being considered for the subjects of an upcoming movie so a movie agent has accompanied the guys to the game and is trying to seal the deal for the movie.  The story revolves around the entire day as the guys are the center of attention from many different groups of people attending the football game.  

What I Thought Of It:  I had high hopes for this book, but struggled reading it throughout most of the novel.  My first clue should have been the National Book Award sticker on the cover.  When I have tried these award winning books in the past, I have not enjoyed them as much as I do with other titles.  To me there wasn't much of a story here and I found myself a bit bored throughout most of the story.  There were times when I enjoyed the writing and the story line, but overall I was not real engrossed in the story line.  It was an intricate story with detailed writing and I just wished there had been more "action" and "things" going on in the story. 

Who Should Read It:  I guess readers that have enjoyed other National Book Award titles would also enjoy this novel.  It was a New York Times Bestseller so I'm sure there are lots of people out there who would find this book satisfying.  I would definitely think the reader would have to be in high school or above.  Give it a try, you might enjoy it.  Happy Reading! 

Rating:  3 STARS out of 5 Stars


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment