Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Tuesday, June 17, 2014

#ABCT (Adult Book Club on Twitter) - Summer 2014...

The #ABCT Has Returned

*I am so excited to be posting this blog entry.

*This opportunity makes me very happy and I hope makes you just as happy.

*Be sure to read on to get all the details…





*Here is the link to sign-up for this awesome event...




How #ABCT Came About:In November, 2012 I came up with the idea of the #ABCT (Adult Book Club on Twitter).  It was during a Twitter discussion on #titletalk that I realized how wonderful it would be to bring together teachers, librarians,  educators, authors, and all other adult readers and form an online book club.  I knew we were reading lots of middle-grade novels, picture books, and other resources for our children, but what about "feeding" ourselves with a delicious and engaging adult novel.  So began the #ABCT.  We have read four adult novels as a Twitter community and have even had some of the authors join us during these discussions.  Here are the novels we have covered so far...

First book:  Life Among Giants by Bill Roorbach
Second book:  Me Before You by JoJo Moyes
Third book:  Schroder by Amity Gaige 
Fourth book:  We are Water by Wally Lamb

The Invite Sent Out:   I invite all Twitter readers, their friends, and anyone else we can spread the word to; to join us for the fifth book club selection for the #ABCT.  It would be wonderful to get as many readers as we can to read the new book club selection, Tweet their thoughts while they read, and meet on Twitter for the book club discussion.  We all enjoy reading those books for our young readers and I know we can enjoy a "big person" book just as much.  So get the word out, join the fun, and read this fifth selection for the #ABCT!



Fifth Book Chosen:   Being on Twitter has been one of the best things I've ever done.  I have come across some of the greatest teachers, educators, librarians, other readers, and authors.  One of my favorite authors is Chris Bohjalian.  I have read all of his books and they just get better and better.  When I came across him on Twitter, it was quite a moment for me.  We have even exchanged "tweets" from time to time.  It was exciting to hear his newest novel is coming out on July 8th.  It is called Close Your Eyes, Hold Hands.  The pre-release press on this book has been very positive and readers that have gotten an advanced copy, have raved about it.  I approached Chris via Twitter, told him I would like to pick this novel, and asked if he would be able to join our online discussion.  He said YES to all of the above.  


When is the Book Club:  The novel will be released on Tuesday, July 8th.  We have scheduled the #ABCT (Adult Book Club on Twitter) for Tuesday, August 5th.  That will give readers a full month to get a copy of this book and get busy reading.  The fact that the author will be joining us during this busy time in his life promoting the novel, is an amazing thing to me.  I'm hoping as many readers will be able to join us and dig into this discussion with the author and other readers.  So mark your calendar to get the book on July 8th and for our book club on August 5th.  Happy Reading!  

No comments:

Post a Comment