Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Wednesday, July 23, 2014

#ABCT (Adult Book Club on Twitter) Fall Selection 2014...

The #ABCT Fall Selection 2014

*I know we haven't even had our fifth #ABCT on August 5th, but I'm just too excited to keep this news to myself.

*For the next selection of the #ABCT (Adult Book Club on Twitter) we are switching gears a bit.  The first five selections were adult novels.

*For the fall book club pick, we are heading into middle-grade novel territory...





How #ABCT Came About:In November, 2012 I came up with the idea of the #ABCT (Adult Book Club on Twitter).  It was during a Twitter discussion on #titletalk that I realized how wonderful it would be to bring together teachers, librarians,  educators, authors, and all other adult readers and form an online book club.  I knew we were reading lots of middle-grade novels, picture books, and other resources for our children, but what about "feeding" ourselves with a delicious and engaging adult novel.  So began the #ABCT.  We have read five adult novels as a Twitter community and have even had some of the authors join us during these discussions.  Here are the novels we have covered so far...

First book:  Life Among Giants by Bill Roorbach
Second book:  Me Before You by JoJo Moyes
Third book:  Schroder by Amity Gaige 
Fourth book:  We are Water by Wally Lamb
Fifth book:  Close Your Eyes, Hold Hands by Chris Bohjalian


The Invite Sent Out:   I invite all Twitter readers, their friends, and anyone else we can spread the word to; to join us for the sixth book club selection for the #ABCT.  It would be wonderful to get as many readers as we can to read the new book club selection, Tweet their thoughts while they read, and meet on Twitter for the book club discussion.  We all enjoy reading those books for our young readers and I know we can enjoy a "big person" book just as much.  So get the word out, join the fun, and read this sixth selection for the #ABCT!


Sixth Book Chosen:   Being on Twitter has been one of the best things I've ever done.  I have come across some of the greatest teachers, educators, librarians, other readers, and authors.  My original goal of the #ABCT was for readers who normally read middle-grade material and/or young adult material, take some time and enjoy an adult novel.  After reading The Secret Hum of a Daisy by Tracy Holczer on Sunday, July 20th (Yes, I finished the entire book in one day) I knew this had to be the next selection for the book club.  This is one of the best middle-grade novels I have read in a long time.  It took me on an emotional ride and left me thinking about and missing these incredible characters.  I reached out to the author via Twitter to let her know how much I enjoyed her novel.  After a few Tweets and Direct Messages back and forth, I had the newest selection for this Twitter book club.  She and I are extremely excited to have people read this book for the first time, or reread it, and meet with us in September to discuss.  


When is the Book Club:  To give everyone a chance to read the book and to give teachers/educators the much needed time to start their school year, we will have the book club on Thursday, September 18th at 7:00 PM CT.  I know many of my Twitter pals have wanted to be a part of this book club, but don't read adult novels as much because they spend most of their time with middle-grade books.  Here is your chance to join in on the fun of #ABCT.  So, get yourself a copy of this incredible novel (with a beautiful cover and pages), read and experience the magic of Grace, and meet us in September to discuss the novel with the author herself.  Happy Reading


**Here is my review/thoughts about the novel that I blogged about a few days ago…

The Secret Hum of a Daisy Review/Thoughts

No comments:

Post a Comment