Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Monday, July 21, 2014

The Secret Hum of a Daisy by Tracy Holczer...

How I Heard About It:  A few weeks ago I started to see this title pop up on Twitter from a few different folks on Twitter.  I loved the title of the book and the cover caught my interest.  When I saw it at the local bookstore I had to purchase it.  

What It Is About:   Grace has just lost her mother and has been "forced" to go live with a grandmother she doesn't know.  Grace would rather live with another "mother" type character and her daughter.  These were the last two people that she and her mother lived with before her mother's death.  After being left in a small California town her grandmother, Grace decides to put "plan B" into effect which will hopefully ensure her return to the other family. As Grace and her grandmother get to know each other and adjust to this new life, Grace begins to follow a trail of clues possibly left by her mother.  She also gets to know the father she never knew through the cast of townspeople that had surrounded him when he was a young boy.  While beginning this new life, Grace also spends time with the neighbor family who have two unique and special children with their own stories.  Grace tries very hard not to get too comfortable, but as the days turn into months, she finds it more and more difficult not to think of this as her new home.

What I Thought Of It:  Let me put it this way.  I started the book on Sunday morning and finished all 312 pages by 12:30 AM that night.  I couldn't put the book down.  I was completely captured and mesmerized by the story of Grace and the people that surrounded her.  There were so many beautiful lines that tugged at my heart strings.  So much so that I Tweeted many of them while I read the book. I have to be honest and say that tears came to my eyes several times throughout the story.  It is one of the most emotional stories that I have experienced in a very long time.  As soon as I turned that last page; I Tweeted, FaceBooked, and GoodReads how much this book meant to me and that people need to read it and experience the magic, love, and heart of Grace.

Who Should Read It:   It is interesting because I know this story was written for middle-grade readers, but as I was reading it yesterday it felt like such an adult novel.  I think readers in sixth grade or above would absolutely enjoy this story.  The novel could also make for a powerful class read aloud.  The teacher would need to know his or her class before deciding whether or not to read this to their group of students.  High school and/or adult readers would also find this a satisfactory and rewarding read.  I will definitely be telling all of my adult readers friends about it.  I kept thinking about the story today and when that happens you know it is a powerful read.  Happy Reading...

Rating:  5+++ STARS out of 5 Stars 

No comments:

Post a Comment