Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, September 27, 2014

El Deafo by Cece Bell...

How I Heard About It:  This book was "talked" about for quite awhile on Twitter and I was thrilled to read it and see what all the talk was about.  I always get excited about new books to share with my students.  

What It Is About:  This is a graphic novel memoir.  I'm not sure I have ever read a graphic novel memoir before, but it sure did work here.  Cece tells her story about finding out she is deaf and what it was like growing up as a deaf little girl.  She has to deal with the reactions of her classmates, the neighbor children, and everyone else that comes across her path.  Cece also has difficulties with her hearing aids, her phonic ear, and the fact that everyone wants to use sign language with her when she is totally against it.  As Cece grows up, friends seem to come and go and each year brings its own challenges.  During one year of school she learns she can actually have some fun with her phonic ear.  She and her classmates realize they can hear their teacher wherever she goes in the building.  Above all, Cece just wants what every other child wants:  to have friends and be accepted.

What I Thought Of It:  I read the entire book this afternoon and loved every minute of it.  I loved the humor used in the book.  I loved the touching moments in the book.  I loved the "character" of Cece and how she dealt with being hearing impaired.  As I read the book, I found it extremely interesting to take in all the graphics, but also realizing these were true stories.  It was like having two worlds coming together.

Who Should Read It:  I will be book talking this book on Monday and doing a "book drawing" to see who will be the first five readers to get to experience this story.  Being that this is a graphic novel it has to be in the hands of the reader.  They have to be able to see the graphics up close and personal.  I would say that readers in fourth-sixth would be able to handle the text quite easily, but would also be appropriate for readers above sixth grade.  Happy Reading...

Rating:  5 STARS out of 5 Stars



No comments:

Post a Comment