Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, September 21, 2014

Emperor Pickletine Rides the Bus by Tom Angleberger...

How I Heard About It:  This is one of my favorite series for middle-grade readers.  I have enjoyed all the books and was looking forward to reading this latest (and last) installment in the series.  

What It Is About:  This sixth and final story has all the elements that made the first five books so great.  The adventure with the "gang" of kids takes place on a school field trip to Washington D.C.  Most of the story takes place on the charter bus that the school has rented for the day.  The principal has made it clear she does not want Origami Yoda (or any of his paper friends) to be a part of the trip.  Some of the kids have snuck a new character aboard.  This time around it is Emperor Pickletine.  Throughout the story there are more shenanigans from each of the characters including bathroom visits, flying airplanes, Mountain Dew stains, likes/dislikes of classmates, and of course more finger puppets.  Even though there are difficulties between the group of friends, they realize how much they each mean to each other and come to rely on Origami Yoda and all that he has to offer.

What I Thought Of It:  I was excited to read this final book and it did not disappoint.  It was so fun to read about the kids on this adventure to Washington D.C.  The shenanigans were hilarious and up to par as they were in the first five books.  I laughed many times throughout the story and enjoyed all that happened to the "crew."  As I neared the end of the book I became a bit sad knowing this series was coming to an end.  But then again, you never know if it is truly the last episode.  Origami Yoda sure did leave us wondering on the very last page.  

Who Should Read It:  I always enjoy sharing this series with my students.  Once they start the first book, they always immerse themselves in all the other books in the series.  In my opinion, I think this is the perfect read for readers in the fourth grade and above.  I also think it has to be in the individual hands of the reader because of all the illustrations, graphics, and doodles throughout the novel.  For that reason I don't think it would make for a good read aloud.  If you have read the first five, then this book must not be missed!  Happy Reading...

Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars




No comments:

Post a Comment