Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Thursday, October 16, 2014

Mean Margarret by Tor Seidler...

How I Heard About It:  This was another find on my book shopping trip last weekend.  The cover caught my attention.  When I quickly previewed it, I thought the format would appeal to my fourth graders.  I thought it was a new book, but when I got home I found that it was actually published in 1997.  

What It Is About:  Margaret (Maggie) is a horrible little child that is the ninth sibling in her family.  She is crabby, mean, and demanding.  A few of her older siblings decide they have had enough of her and take her out to the woods and leave her there.  She is found by a pair of woodchucks named Fred and Phoebe.  Phoebe has always wanted a child of her own and decides she and Fred must keep and raise Maggie as their own.  Fred isn't so sure, but decides to go along with it.  Life turns upside down for the woodchucks along with the other animals of the forest.  A sneaky snake has a plan to get rid of the human baby.  Meanwhile Maggie's family tries to get along without her and makes some changes for the better.  The family wants their ninth child back and the animals of the forest want to help Maggie as much as they can.

What I Thought Of It:  The beginning and ending of this book were quite good, but I thought there were parts in the middle that were a bit slow.  It was a different type of story and I enjoyed it overall.  I'm always looking for books with animals as the main characters because I know that kids like these types of stories.  It was great to read how the animals stood up for each other and how Maggie's family changed for the better.  It was a quick read and I'm glad I read it.  

Who Should Read It:  I will be announcing this book to my fourth graders and know they will enjoy it.  It is the perfect format for this age of reader.  I also think that readers in third grade would also enjoy this book along with grade five readers.  It could make for a fun read aloud, but because there are so many wonderful illustrations it might be better to be in the hands of the child.  Happy Reading...

Rating:  3 STARS out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment