Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, November 2, 2014

A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman...

 How I Heard About It:  I can't recall exactly where I heard about this book, but it was written up somewhere with an excellent review so I added it to my TBR list.  I recently purchased it at our local book store and I couldn't be more happy that I did.    

What It Is About:  This is the story of Ove.  Ove is a quiet man.  Ove is a strong man.  Ove isn't quite like most men.  He didn't have the easiest upbringing and lived most of his life on his own.  One day he sees the most beautiful women on the train and knows from that moment that he must be with her.  They end up marrying and having a beautiful life together.  Like all marriages, they are difficulties, up, downs, and everything else in-between.  When Ove ends up on his own in his later years, he becomes a bit bitter, lonely, and quieter than ever.  He decides he wants to end his life.  At the beginning this doesn't seem like it should be that difficult, but when different residents of his neighborhood begin to "interfere" in his life, he finds it more and more difficult to accomplish the task that is in front of him.  From young children, to "former" best friends, to a single man, to a mother that takes Ove under her belt, all of these neighbors need Ove just as much as he needs them.  All of these changes in his life, make his decision more and more complex and complicated.

What I Thought Of It:  I absolutely LOVED this novel.  It is one of the best stories that I have ever read.  I loved how the plot went back and forth between present day when Ove is older and alone to when he was a young man and beginning his life with the woman he loves.  As much as Ove is a "hardened and tough" guy, you learn that there is so much more under the surface.  The supporting characters from the neighborhood are endearing, lovable, and become part of your heart.  I'm not a cat lover and I even ended up loving the cat.  I didn't want this story to end and I came to really love the man called Ove.  I laughed, I cried, and I took deep breaths many times throughout the novel.  This is a story that I won't forget and that I'm recommending to all of my reader friends.

Who Should Read It:  In my opinion every adult reader should spend time with this book.  I can't imagine anyone not loving it as much as I did.  If you are a fiction fan of great writing, then this is the book for you.  Go and get it today.  You will not be disappointed.  Happy Reading!

Rating:  5 STARS out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment