Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson...

How I Heard About It:   At the end of 2014 I read I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson and absolutely loved it.  After finishing it, I checked to see what else she had written and found this title.  I completed the novel last night and I'm thrilled to have found a new and talented author.  

What It Is About:  Lennie has lost her older sister to a very sudden death.  Lennie's mother left years ago.  She lives with her grandmother and uncle.  The story begins about a month after the funeral as Lennie is heading back to high school.  She had been heavily involved in the school's band.  When she returns to the music class, she learns there is a new student in class named Joe who is a musical genius.  Lennie is starting to hang out with Toby who was her sister's boyfriend before she died.  She struggles with the feelings she seems to be having for him.  At the same time her friendship grows and grows with Joe.  Life becomes difficult for Lennie as she deals with her sister's absence, her new friendship with Joe, and the closeness that is developing with Toby.

What I Thought Of It:   After reading I'll Give You the Sun, I was very excited to read this book.  I enjoyed this story, but probably not as much as the author's newest book.  The character of Lennie was awesome and such an interesting young lady to read about.  The story was real and honest and at times quite graphic.  I appreciated this because I thought it was true to a high school girl dealing with everything that Lennie was.  The novel was easy to read and quite a quick read.  

Who Should Read It:  This book is for the young adult reader.  I think I'll Give You the Sun could be read by young adult readers and adult readers.  This particular novel is more geared toward the young adult reader rather than an adult reader.  Lennie is the "typical" high school girl and I think many high school readers will be able to relate to her and enjoy her.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars





No comments:

Post a Comment