Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Wednesday, January 14, 2015

The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin...

How I Heard About It:  To be honest, I'm not really sure how I heard about this novel, but I'm thinking it came across my Twitter stream.  However I found out about it, I'm sure glad I did.  I LOVED it!  

What It Is About:  A.J. Fikry is a crabby man who isn't even forty yet.  He does have reason.  He lost his wife to a car accident and has been left alone to run their quaint little bookstore on an island called Alice.  This island is off the East coast.  A.J. loves to read and loves books, but he is particular about what type of reading he will do and which books he wants to read.  Amelia is a book seller for a publishing firm and sells books to A.J.'s shop.  There first meeting is nothing but horrible, but things do change after time.  A.J. spends his days selling books in the store and his nights alone drinking upstairs in his apartment.  His prized possession is a collection of Poe poems in a bound book which is one of the few that are still around.  After a night of drinking, he wakes up to find it is missing.  At about this same time, a baby is left in his bookstore with a note stating that they know he can care for this child. Between Ameilia, the stolen book, and this new arrival; A.J. isn't sure what his life has become, but he is about to find out.  

What I Thought Of It:   Even before I began to read this novel, I just knew I was going to like it.  I not only liked it, I LOVED it.  I was captured by the story from page one and didn't stop enjoying every word until the very last page.  It is well written, it is a beautiful story, and the characters are so entertaining and heart-warming.  Of course the fact that one major theme of the novel was books and bookstores didn't hurt either.  This story had it all.  I'm telling everyone about it and actually picked it for my BBC (Boy's Book Club).

Who Should Read It:   As I said, I'm telling everyone about this novel.  It is only 255 pages so any reader can handle it.  The story line is engaging so will grab the attention of all readers.  I think this book could be read by high school students all the way up to a senior reader.  When I say "senior", I mean readers who may qualify for the AARP card.  Please make time for this novel.  I don't think you will be disappointed.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  5+ STARS out of 5 Stars



No comments:

Post a Comment