Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, February 8, 2015

The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty...

How I Heard About It:  I had seen this book and others by this author many times at the book store.  When I finally started to listen to books via audio, this was one of the first novels I did.  It was a great one to start with.  

What It Is About:  This isn't going to be easy to "summarize" because so much went on and it was quite a complex story.  Cecilia finds a letter addressed to her from her husband to be open in the case of his death.  The problem is he is still alive.  Cecilia must decide if she is going to open the letter or not.  Tess finds out that her husband is in love with her cousin and she retreats back to her childhood home with her son to spend time with her mother.  This is the same town that Cecilia lives in with her family.  She has children at the local school where Tess will enroll her son while she is in town.  The school secretary, Ruth, lost a daughter years ago to a horrible murder.  She believes the person responsible may be working in the school.  These three women; Cecilia, Tess, and Ruth must learn to deal with their pasts so they can move toward their future.  There lives will be intertwined more than they ever knew possible.  

What I Thought Of It:  My first two audio books were memoirs by Andy Cohen.  They were light and fun and didn't take my entire 100% concentration while driving to and from work.  I wasn't sure how I would be able to do with an actual novel.  This story captivated me right away and made the commute (30 minutes or so each way) a complete delight.  The narrator (Australian) was wonderful to listen to and brought the characters to life.  The story line was a "page-turner" so to speak and kept me one the edge of my driver's seat.  I enjoyed how the lives of the three main characters came together with their past and current situations.  The novel had lots of secrets, lots of interesting characters, and lots of action.  All the attributes of a top-notch book.  

Who Should Read It:  If you enjoy great fiction, then this is the book for you.  I know this author is quite popular now, but if you haven't experienced one of her stories, this would be an excellent one to start with.  As I mentioned it has all the elements of a novel that can't be put down.  I would also recommend it as an audio book because the narrator did such a terrific job.  Happy Reading!

Rating:  5 STARS out of 5 Stars



No comments:

Post a Comment