Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Thursday, March 5, 2015

Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell...

How I Heard About It:  I read Elenor and Park and enjoyed it.  I was curious to read another novel by Rowell.  This book had received positive press so I thought I would give it a shot.  

What It Is About:  There are actually three stories in one going on with this novel, but I'm going to stick to the main plot.  Cath and Wren are starting their freshman year at the University of Nebraska.  They are twins.  Wren is the social outgoing sister while Cath is the anxious shy one.  Wren decides not to "room" with her sister and this doesn't sit well with Cath.  She gives it her best effort, at times, and learns to live with Regan.  Regan's "boyfriend" often is in their room, and Cath isn't sure how to handle this.  She is a fan fiction writer of a popular novel series and has many online followers.  Because of her love of writing, she takes a fiction writing class at UNL.  In this class she meets Nick and their become writing partners.  As the year progresses both girls have their own adjustments and difficulties.  Some of these problems happen on campus and some of them occur back at home in Omaha.  

What I Thought Of It:  I listened to this story via an audio book.  The narrator was great.  I think I enjoyed Elenor and Park better, but I did enjoy the story.  Watching how Cath changed from the start of the school year to the end of the year was both realistic and interesting.  There are some "internal" stories going on with a novel series that Cath loves and a story that she is writing, and this was not my favorite part of the book.  

Who Should Read It:  This is the perfect young-adult novel for high school and college readers.  I can see them relating to the story and enjoying the characters.  If you have read other Rowell books, then you should definitely give this one a shot.  In my opinion, the reader of this book should be high school or higher.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars






No comments:

Post a Comment