Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, April 4, 2015

Mosquitoland by David Arnold...

How I Heard About It:  This book was mentioned via Twitter and I also read different reviews of it in various publications.  Before I went on spring break last week I downloaded it to my Kindle to read it on the beach.  I started it there, but finished back at home.    

What It Is About:  Mim (Mary Iris Malone) is having a difficult time.  Her parents have divorced.  She is "medicated" because her father mandated it.  She has been relocated from Ohio to Mississippi.  She doesn't like the new situation with her dad and the "step mom".  After learning that her own mother is sick, Mim decides to take things into her own hands.  She boards a Greyhound bus for Cleveland to reach her mother and make things right.  While on this journey she meets up with a unique cast of characters.  The cast includes Arlene (an elderly women traveling with a mystery box),  Poncho-Man (a sinister type person), Walt (a homeless guy with Down Syndrome), and Beck (a romantic interest).  Along with these quirky new "friends", they experience a plethora of situations that require them to rely on each other.  Once Mim reaches her final destination, she can't quite believe what she finds.    

What I Thought Of It:  This book lived up to all of the publication hype.  The story was endearing, thoughtful, and special.  Mim is one of a kind character and her "voice" came through loud and clear during the life-changing journey.  The characters she met along the way and included on her journey added to the enjoyment of the read.  Everything about this story was top-notch and provided for one of the most enjoyable reads I've had in a long time.  

Who Should Read It:  The story is perfect for the high school reader and above.  I'm finding that many of the young-adult novels that I read are actually perfect for the adult reader.  In some ways, this book reminded me of Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech.  Just on a more mature level.  Readers who enjoy "journey" and "self-discovery" stories, will devour this book as I did over the last couple of days.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  5 STARS out of 5 Stars


No comments:

Post a Comment