Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Friday, July 10, 2015

#ABCT is Back...

The #ABCT - The Novel that Brought it Back...

*It has been since last fall that we had our last #ABCT (Adult Book Club on Twitter).

*The last selection was actually a middle-grade novel that I absolutely loved.  We had a great book discussion with the author and was such a satisfying experience.  

*Life got busy this past year and the #ABCT slipped by the wayside.  But as I finished an adult book this afternoon, I knew I had found the perfect selection for this book club.



How #ABCT Came About:In November, 2012 I came up with the idea of the #ABCT (Adult Book Club on Twitter).  It was during a Twitter discussion on #titletalk that I realized how wonderful it would be to bring together teachers, librarians,  educators, authors, and all other adult readers and form an online book club.  I knew we were reading lots of middle-grade novels, picture books, and other resources for our children, but what about "feeding" ourselves with a delicious and engaging adult novel.  So began the #ABCT.  We have read six novels as a Twitter community and have even had some of the authors join us during these discussions.  Here are the novels we have covered so far...

First book:  Life Among Giants by Bill Roorbach
Second book:  Me Before You by JoJo Moyes
Third book:  Schroder by Amity Gaige 
Fourth book:  We are Water by Wally Lamb
Fifth book:  Close Your Eyes, Hold Hands by Chris Bohjalian
Sixth book:  The Secret Hum of a Daisy by Tracy Holczer (The first middle-grade selection)


The Invite Sent Out:   I invite all Twitter readers, their friends, and anyone else we can spread the word to; to join us for the seventh book club selection for the #ABCT.  It would be wonderful to get as many readers as we can to read the new book club selection, Tweet their thoughts while they read, and meet on Twitter for the book club discussion.  We all enjoy reading those books for our young readers and I know we can enjoy a "big person" book just as much.  So get the word out, join the fun, and read this seventh selection for the #ABCT!


Seventh Book Chosen:   Being on Twitter has been one of the best things I've ever done.  I have come across some of the greatest teachers, educators, librarians, other readers, and authors.  My original goal of the #ABCT was for readers who normally read middle-grade material and/or young adult material, take some time and enjoy an adult novel.  After reading My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry by Fredrik Backman, I knew I had to bring back the #ABCT.    I read his first novel A Man Called Ove last year and thought that was an incredible story.  When you read a debut novel that is so great, the second one can be somewhat of a letdown.  That was NOT the case with this story.  It captivated my attention and heart and didn't let go until the very last page.  I loved everything about this story and want to share it with as many other readers as possible.  


When is the Book Club:  To give everyone a chance to get a copy of the book and get busy reading, I'm trying to give as much notice as possible.   I thought summer would be the perfect time for many of us to read an adult book since we have the extra time of summer.  At this point, I'm thinking of having #ABCT on Thursday, August 27th at 7:00 PM CT.  That way we can get the book club in before the busy time of the year begins when most of us head back to work.  I hope you will join me (and hopefully many others) for this "Adult Book Club on Twitter."  This really is a story that everyone should read, enjoy, and experience.  Happy Reading!  

No comments:

Post a Comment