Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Friday, October 16, 2015

The Jam Doughnut That Ruined My Life by Mark Lowery...

How I Heard About It:  As I was browsing Net Galley one night I came across this book and the title and cover grabbed my attention.  I downloaded it to my Kindle.  It sat for awhile, but once I started it, an enjoyable read followed.    

What It Is About:  Roman is obsessed with Squidgy Splodge raspberry-jam doughnuts.  He lives for them.  The story begins on a Monday and what follows after is an action packed week with everything related to doughnuts.  His class takes a field trip to an aquarium with crazy events.  He is involved in a shop-lifting incident, given a ride by robbers, escaped some baby's "wee wee", lost his teacher's guinea pig, found the guinea pig, volunteered at a senior center, and a variety of other crazy events.  During all of these outrageous antics Roman has to endure the advances of a girl that he isn't sure likes him or his doughnuts, and a best friend that sometimes causes him much trouble and at other times has his back.  All of this craziness leads to a hilarious conclusion that sets up for book number two perfectly.  

What I Thought Of It:  I'm more of the "emotional" middle-grade novel lover, and not the slap-stick silly kind, but overall I really enjoyed this story.  The beginning was a bit off for me, but once I got into the book, it read quickly and was a fun read.  There were many laugh out loud moments and the different events that occurred throughout the book were over the top, but worked for the story.  The cast of characters were stellar and added so much to the plot.  Even though I would rather have a more "serious" type story, I kept thinking how much my fourth grade readers would get a kick out of this book.

Who Should Read It:  This was written with the middle-grade reader in mind.  It would be perfect for students in grades four, five, and maybe even six.  The reading level isn't too difficult and the subject matter would be appealing to the reluctant reader.  There were several times throughout the story that I thought this would make for a fun read aloud with my class.  It could also work for a book club selection.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars



No comments:

Post a Comment