Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, December 20, 2015

The Library of Souls by Ransom Riggs...

How I Heard About It:  I actually saw this book before I even knew about book #1 and book #2.  When I realized it was the third novel in the series, I checked out the first and second and listened to them on audio.  Recently, I finished the trilogy and am quite glad I had the experience of Miss Peregrine and her peculiar children.  

What It Is About:  Jacob and his friends are back for the final installment of this massive adventure story.  The story picks up right where the second one left off.  This series must be read in order so be sure to read this one after the first two.  Jacob discovers a new found power that will assist him in upcoming battles he and his friends will face.  The group leaves modern day London and traveling back in time to a very different time and place.  They find themselves in an area called Devil's Acre.  The children are faced with many difficulties, more than one battle, and more harmful characters then they prefer to face.  Once they reach the "Library of Souls", Jacob learns the many secrets and history of "peculiars" and has to decide if he wants to remain in this world or return to his original life.  After many battles and dangerous situations, all the answers he and his friends are searching for will be revealed.  

What I Thought Of It:  This wasn't my usual type of reading I do, but I'm certainly glad I stretched myself and tried something different.  I was intrigued by the covers of the books, and that led me on an adventure of fantasy/mystery/horror.  I'm more of a realistic fiction reader, but found satisfaction with this series.  I did prefer the first two stories compared to this one.  There were times when the story seemed to drag on and lost my attention.  Although just when this would happen, the story would pick up again and grab me back into it.  I think that is why I was able to finish all three stories.  

Who Should Read It:  This book/series is perfect for the high school reader all the way up through adulthood.  Readers who are fans of fantasy/mystery/horror will find great satisfaction with the story of Jacob and his adventures.  Even though I'm a fan of realistic fiction, I believe that fiction lovers will also enjoy this highly adventurous story line.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  3 STARS out of 5 Stars






No comments:

Post a Comment