Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Wonder Wednesday #120 (Crenshaw by Katherine Applegate)...

Wonder Wednesday - Class Read Aloud Number Three

*After reading the ARC of Crenshaw last summer, I knew it had to be one of our class read alouds.

*I actually invited my three team members to join me in reading this story to all of our fourth graders.

*We even included a food drive for our local food shelf while sharing the story with our students.  


*Once we finish the read aloud, my students fill out a reflection sheet.  I want them to record their thoughts about the story.  These reflection sheets are kept and compiled into a "booklet" at the end of the year.

*The booklet makes for a wonderful keep-sake of the stories we shared throughout the school year.


***WARNING:  There are a few spoilers included here!

*Here are a few thoughts that my listeners had...


I thought this book was…

*Awesome because I love Katherine Applegate novels.  
*Sad because Jackson and his family were poor and had lots of problems. 
*Good because the story tells you to stay calm if you lose your home and have problems.  

I liked it when…


*Jackson saw Crenshaw in the bathtub because it was funny.  
*Robin missed her trash because it was funny.
*The police guy gave them money because it was so nice of him to do that.  


My favorite character was…

*Crenshaw because he was such an interesting character.  
*Robin because she was nice and sweet.  
*Aretha because I love dogs and she seemed like the best dog.

My favorite part in the story was…

*At the end when they figured out what to do because I was nervous at what would happen.  
*When Crenshaw was taking a bath because I was like "Oh Boy."  
*When the family was in their car because it was interesting when they had no money.  


It was interesting when…


*When I first met Crenshaw in the story because he was surfing.   

*When Crenshaw told Jackson about Finian because he didn't know his dad had an imaginary friend.  
*Jackson stole the cookie because I was surprised he would steal.  


I was frustrated when…

*They had to leave their apartment because I was kind of scared for what they were going to do.
*Jackson wouldn't tell Robin what was going on because it's better to tell the truth then lie.  
*The dad was mad about taking the $20.00 because someone was trying to help them and he was still mad.  


I give this book _____ stars!  

5 STARS =  10 Students
4 STARS =  11 Students
3 STARS =  1 Students
2 STARS =  0 Student
1 STAR =  0 Students 

No comments:

Post a Comment