Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Ordinary Grace by William Kent Krueger...

How I Heard About It:  This has been a title that has been on my radar for quite some time.  I remember seeing it in the bookstore.  I remember reading reviews of it in magazines and newspapers.  I also have had reading friends recommend it to me.  I final checked it out from the library on audio.  The last couple of weeks have been great commutes because of this story.  

What It Is About:  Frank Drum is a teenage boy living in New Bremen, Minnesota during the summer of 1961.  He lives with his pastor father, his artistic mother, his talented older sister, and wise younger brother Jake.  After a young boy is killed by an accident on the train tracks, and a homeless man is found dead, life in New Bremen changes for Frank and all of its residents.  Frank and his brother spend their days out by the tracks and the river enjoying their summer days.  When their sister disappears, the "quiet" ideal family life they knew will forever disappear.  The family and the "law" begin a massive search to find her and the person who is responsible for her disappearance.  There are several members of the community that could have been involved.  During this search, Frank and his family discover many secrets that the sister held along with several community members.  Frank isn't sure who to trust and who might be responsible for his sister's disappearance.  When the secrets are revealed, Frank will have to become an adult sooner than he would have desired   

What I Thought Of It:  After a bit of a slow start I became quite addicted to this story.  Frank was a compassionate narrator and became my car "companion" on the way to and from work.  I enjoyed reading about the family and community dynamics and each character brought such life and heart to this engaging story.  I could feel Frank's pain and determination to find out what happened to his sister.  The story was well written with lots of fascinating details, but also moved along at a perfect pace that kept me wanting more.  As I approached the end of the story everything came together and I was on the edge of my "car seat" listening to the stunning and surprising conclusion of this powerful and meaningful story.

Who Should Read It:  This is a definite must read for adult readers that enjoy fiction stories.  It is a character driven story with a plot that has many twists and turns along the way.  The story takes place in Minnesota with many references to the state so if you are a Minnesota reader or in a nearby state, you will be able to connect to many aspects of the plot.  Everyone I know that has read the book enjoyed it as much as I did.  I know you will also.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  5 STARS out of 5 Stars




No comments:

Post a Comment