Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Thursday, February 25, 2016

When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi...

How I Heard About It:  On the way home from school on President's Day, I finished the audio book I was listening to.  When I stopped by the public library, I realized they were closed for the holiday.  Well, I couldn't head to work on Tuesday morning without an audio book.  I headed over to the book store and found this title on the audio shelf.  It was somewhat familiar so I bought it and hoped for the best.  

What It Is About:  At the age of thirty-six Paul is diagnosed with stage four lung cancer.  He has just spent years getting ready to be a neurosurgeon.  Paul has spent a lifetime getting ready to be the best doctor he can be.  He also has a passion for literature.  There was a time when he wasn't going to follow his dream of being a doctor and instead study literature and become an author.  Just as he and his wife are ready to start the new phase of their life, Paul learns he has a "deadly" cancer.  He goes from a passionate, personal, caring doctor to the life of a patient.  He prided himself on his "bedside" manner and the way he dealt with patients and their life threatening illnesses.  Now he must learn how to deal with his own illness, decide what the next step in his life will be, and lean on his wife for more support than he ever thought he would need.  

What I Thought Of It:  This was one of the most beautiful memoirs I have ever read (listened to).  The narrator was absolutely wonderful and I felt like Paul was telling me his story himself.  His journey to neurosurgery was fascinating to read about.  He was truly talented as a doctor and such a kind man.  I enjoyed reading about his relationships with different patients that he wrote about throughout the story.  The way he handled his illness was full of heart, courage, and grace.  I myself had cancer back in 1997 so there were several moments I could relate to.  When I finished listening to the book, I realized how important it is to live each and every day to the fullest and make the most of the time we have on this earth.  Paul did that and I admire him for his bravery and integrity.  

Who Should Read It:  To me this is an important memoir that should be read by as many people as possible.  There are so many elements to the story that are relatable to all human beings.  Writers and readers will be able to connect to his "literate" life.  Medical professionals will be able to connect to his experiences as a doctor.  Most importantly, any person will attach themselves to Paul's journey as a human being.  This really is a must-read, or in my case, a must-listen to.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  5 STARS out of 5 Stars






No comments:

Post a Comment