Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Wednesday, April 6, 2016

The Opposite of Everyone by Joshilyn Jackson...

How I Heard About It:  One of my favorite novels is called gods in Alabama by Joshilyn Jackson.  It was one of those novels that once I started I couldn't put down.  I'm a member of the BBC (Boy's Book Club).  This is a book club of several male members of my teaching staff.  One of my buddies picked this newest novel by Jackson for our current book club selection.  

What It Is About:  Paula Vauss was born in Alabama.  Her early years were spent with her mother Kai.  They never spent much time in the same place and often found themselves in unique situations.  After one such situation, Paula's mother ended up in prison and Paula found herself in foster care.  Once a strong pair of mother and daughter, these two found themselves separated by a really difficult situation.  As an adult Paula has become a successful and tough lawyer.  She hasn't seen her mother in years.  When she receives a hint Kai may have died, she isn't sure what to do.  Life gets even more complicated when a secret of Paula's mother lands on her doorstop and turns her life completely upside down.  Paula and her mother's secret embark on a journey to locate and discover what truly happened to her mother.  Along the way, many secrets of the past and the present are revealed to Paula and her traveling companion.  

What I Thought Of It:  I was so excited to read this novel.  I have tried other Jackson novels after reading gods in Alabama, but have never enjoyed them as much as gods.  The story started out alright, but then I began to lose interest.  I found myself not being drawn back to the story and it took awhile for me to finish.  The story was ok, but just didn't grab me like her other book.  I think sometimes when you love a story so much by an author, the other ones just don't measure up as much.  It will be interesting to see what the other members of the BBC think about this book and how it compares to my opinions.  

Who Should Read It:  Fans of Joshilyn Jackson should definitely give this novel a try.  Many reviews online are quite favorable so there are definitely readers who enjoyed this novel.  Fans of southern fiction will also find enjoyment of this adult novel.  It always amazes me how the same story can elicit different responses from different readers.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  3 STARS out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment