Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Friday, July 22, 2016

Friend Friday #149 (What in the What by Dave Eggers)

Hi!  I'm Jackie and I read the book called What in the What (Boys of Sudan) written by Dave Eggers.


I think this book is great, informative, difficult, and long because it is a great discussion on what one would do if they were forced to leave their country at age of seven years old.  


My favorite part in the story is when our book club talked about the boys of Sudan and how the U.N. could work with these countries instead of rooting them from their country because it was such a great talk and I always like hearing what other readers thought.  


The character that I liked best was Valentino Achak because he was realistic and relatable even though he had almost everything possible dealt to him for him to fail.  He had such strong will to keep going and not give up.  


I think the author wrote this book because it gives an understanding of the politics and consequences of oppression.  It also shows how frustrating our countries are with leaders and governments that are corrupt.  


I would recommend this book to my friends because it is a type of book that makes one think about the life they have today and how it can change in an instant.  


Reading to me is an adventure because every book I read gives me additional insight into the world around me.


*This was a great memoir of strength and endurance and struggles.  It was also such a tragedy what this character had to endure.  


-Jackie is another colleague that I have now worked with for several years.
-When I found out she was a "reader" I liked her even more.  
-The last couple of years we shared the same lunch period and many of our conversations revolved around books and what we were reading.
-She is great because she challenges me and stretches me to try different things when selecting books to read.  
-I had not heard of this memoir, but do know the author and will check it out!  







No comments:

Post a Comment