Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, July 10, 2016

The One-In-A-Million Boy by Monica Wood

How I Heard About It:  First of all, I can't believe this is my first adult novel I've finished this summer.  I've spent so much time reading YA and MG, that I haven't had time for my adult reads.  I saw this novel reviewed on several sites and it looked like a story I would love so I added it to an online purchase I made of young-adult and middle-grade novels.  

What It Is About:  Quinn and Belle are divorced and grieving the loss of their young son who recently died.  He was a unique boy who didn't fit into a typical mold.  One of his passions was world records and being a boy scout.  As one of his volunteer duties, he began to visit the 104 year-old Ona Vitkus each Saturday.  The two of them decided that she was going to set a world record by being the oldest woman alive who has a "working" driver's license. When Quinn shows up one Saturday instead of his son, Ona knows something is drastically wrong.  Quinn and Ona begin a friendship in which he begins to truly understand who his son was and what he was all about.  Quinn, Ona, and Belle end up on a road trip together to find the son that Ona gave up years ago.  By spending time with Ona, Quinn and Belle learn how to deal with their grief, their love, and how to move forward with their lives.  Ona also has the opportunity to share her visits with their son and the journeys she has taken in her one hundred some years.  

What I Thought Of It:  This was a beautiful story.  As I mentioned above, I have read as many adult novels as I usually do so it was great to get back to a "big boy" novel.  The characters in this story were so special and unique.  I enjoyed learning about Quinn and Belle's relationship before they lost their son, and how it changed after their loss.  Ona was also a "one-in-a-million" character.  She was just sweet, funny, and wise beyond her "years.".  The writing in the novel was top-notch and the plot flowed seamlessly.  I enjoyed how the story switched between present day with the adults and the interviews that the young boy conducted to learn more about Ona.  There were so many layers to the story.  I will definitely be recommending this novel to my friends.  

Who Should Read It:    This is a must-read for any reader that enjoys a strong character driven story.  The characters that are written about, are the type that will weave their way into your heart and become a part of your soul.  The plot was unique and grabs you from the get-go and doesn't let go until the very last page.  A perfect adult novel for a summer read.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars




No comments:

Post a Comment