Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, October 15, 2016

Heartbeat by Sharon Creech

How I Heard About It:  This is another Sharon Creech novel that I never read when it was released.  I recently visited my local library and piled up quite a few audio books to enjoy during my commute to and from work.  This was one was them.  

What It Is About:  Annie is a twelve-year old girl who loves to run.  She lives for running.  She feels free when she is out on the open trail and using her legs to move.  Her friend Max is also a runner, but he prefers to compete on the school team and tries to convince Annie to join the team.  She prefers the freedom of her own running.  Annie's life begins to change when she finds out her mother is pregnant and notices that her grandfather's life is changing because of his memory.  Annie's art teacher gives the class an assignment to draw an apple for 100 days in a row and she isn't sure what she is going to get out of the assignment.  Will the drawings, the new baby, and the changes with her grandfather bring peace or turmoil to Annie?  That is what she hopes to find out and the running is going to be her guide.  

What I Thought Of It:  One of my all-time favorite middle-grade novels is Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech.  When you read a novel like that, the following novels are hard to measure up.  I've learned to enjoy the other stories on their own merit.  This was an enjoyable read/listen.  I liked how the chapters were short, to the point, and full of beautiful prose.  The character of Annie was one that I grew to care about and enjoy.  I also liked how all the various elements of the plot came together to tell a strong and beautiful tale.  Sharon Creech sure has a way with words.  It has been rewarding to revisit older works of this author.  

Who Should Read It:  The book could make for an enjoyable read aloud with children in grades three, four, or five.  It wouldn't take long to share because the chapters are short and the book isn't too long.  Female readers may gravitate toward the novel because of Annie being the focus of the story.  If you are a fan of Sharon Creech and haven't read this particular book, I recommend it.  Happy Reading!

Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars





No comments:

Post a Comment