Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, October 8, 2016

The Last Wild by Piers Torday

How I Heard About It:  This novel has been on my radar for quite some time.  I remember reading such positive comments on Twitter about the story while also being intrigued by the title and cover.  During my last visit to the library to pick up some audio books, I came across the title and added it to my stack of audio books. 

What It Is About:  Kester is a young boy who lost his mother and isn't sure where is father is.  He has been in a home for troubled children and hasn't spoken a word for a very long time.  One thing he knows is that all of the wild animals on Earth are slowly disappearing because of an unknown "sickness".  When a flock of pigeons and a cockroach appear in Kester's room, he learns that he can speak to these animals, but still can't talk with humans.  The animals convince him to join them on a quest to help the animals on Earth.  They travel a long distance and Kester's travel companions introduce him to a great Stag that is the leader of the remaining animals.  Kester learns that only he, with the help of a new friend, can save the existence of these endangered animals. 

What I Thought Of It:  As I have probably mentioned before I'm not a reader who tends to gravitate toward animal adventure stories.  When I first started the audio, I wasn't sure what to expect.  As soon as I began to listen, I was captivated.  The narrator was so easy to listen to and such a talented speaker.  My favorite aspect of the story was the relationship between Kester and the Stag.  There was such a closeness, tenderness, and bond between these two characters.  The whole mystery of why the animals were disappearing was thought-provoking, suspenseful, and riveting.  I would look forward to my commute home each afternoon on the congested freeway to continue this "wild" adventure. 

Who Should Read It:  If you have a reader that enjoys animal stories, then this is the novel for them.  In my opinion, male readers may gravitate toward the novel, but female readers would also enjoy this adventure.  The story would make for an excellent read aloud.  Readers who put the book in their own hands might want to be in grades five and/or six.  I didn't realize this was the first book in a series.  I'm thinking I will check out the novels that follow this first edition.  Happy Reading! 

Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars





No comments:

Post a Comment