Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Monday, October 10, 2016

The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by Kate DiCamillo

How I Heard About It:  Believe it or not, this book has been sitting in my classroom library since its release in 2006.  For some strange reason I never got around to reading it.  I've made it a mini-goal to read all the DiCamillo novels that I haven't read yet.  I just finished this title via audio.  

What It Is About:  Abilene is a young girl who cherishes Edward; the china rabbit.  They spend all their time together and are the best of friends.  Tragedy strikes and Edward is lost to Abilene and finds himself at the bottom of the sea.  Here begins his adventure.  He travels with a fisherman, spends time in a garbage heap, hangs out with a group of hoboes' at their camp, lives with a little girl who is ill; all the while trying to find the true meaning of "love."  Edward makes the best of each situation and learns many life lessons.  He has some physical "setbacks" along with emotional heart-ache.  Throughout the journey, Edward just hopes to find a home and a "family" to give him the love he so longs to find.  

What I Thought Of It:  As with any Kate DiCamillo novel, this was wonderful.  The narration was top-notch and easy to listen to.  The story was sweet, touching, and full of wonderfully warm moments.  Edward was endearing and the characters he met along the way made for an exceptional journey.  I enjoyed everything about this story.  

Who Should Read It:  I know many teachers have used this book as a read aloud choice.  Now that I have actually read it, I can see why.  I would think readers in grades three, four, and five would be the perfect audience to enjoy this story of a rabbit and those he meets along the way.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars




No comments:

Post a Comment