Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Monday, October 24, 2016

The Nix by Nathan Hill

How I Heard About It:  This particular novel was written up quite a bit this past August and September.  The prerelease buzz was quite positive and the author is from right here in the Twin Cities.  I believe is a professor at one of our local colleges.  I wrote the title down and kept it on my radar.  When we started the school year and the next "season" of the BBC (Boy's Book Club), it was my turn to select a novel for the group of guys I teach and have a book club with.  I decided to give this new novel a chance.  

What It Is About:  Sam is a college professor and one days sees his mother on the news for throwing rocks at a political candidate in a park.  She has been arrested and facing charges.  Sam isn't sure how to handle this news because he hasn't seen his mother since he was a young boy and she walked out on him and his father and was never heard from again.  The story goes back and forth between Sam trying to decide what to do with this new information about this mother and his childhood with her.  It also covers the time period before Sam's mom marries his father and the life she lived after leaving her family.  There are quite a few supporting characters that add greatly to the story.  The plot also includes some historical events from our country's past.  

What I Thought Of It:  I can't believe this is the only novel published for adults that I have read this fall.  I'm spending so much time reading middle-grade and young-adult novels.  Plus this was a mega-read at over 600 pages.  It took me most of September and October to get through it.  There were sections that I just loved and couldn't stop reading and then there were others parts that I struggled with and found my doing the old "skim and scan".  The writing was unbelievable and Nathan Hill has quite a way with words.  The overall plot was intriguing and quite the story.  

Who Should Read It:  This novel isn't for the "casual" reader.  It is long, complex, and deep.  Readers that enjoy history and politics will find this a terrific read.  If you are looking for a novel published for adults that shares a unique storyline with interesting characters, then this is the book for you.  It is a commitment, but well worth it.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars




No comments:

Post a Comment