Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Friday, November 11, 2016

And Every Morning The Way Home Gets Longer and Longer by Fredrik Backman

How I Heard About It:  Fredrik Backman is one of my favorite authors that writes novels for adults.  His first book A Man Called Ove is one of my favorite novels and I'm always recommending it to people.  I also thought his book My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry was such a brilliant story.  I was thrilled when I learned that he had a new novel coming out.  My sister then texted me one day about the book and how much she enjoyed it.  I was surprised when I went to buy it to learn that this is actually a novella instead of a novel.  

What It Is About:  A beautiful story about a grandfather and his grandson.  The grandfather is suffering from the disease of Alzheimer's.  He doesn't quite know how to convey this to his cherished grandson.  The man made many mistakes as a father to his son Ted, and has made up for it with the relationship with Noah.  He calls him NoahNoah.  They spend time together, talking about life, and each being their own person.  The grandfather recalls his life with his lovely wife and shares those memories with Noah.  With each day, it gets more and more difficult for him to hold on to those memories.  Those memories are passed to Noah so the stories never die.  

What I Thought Of It:  I wasn't sure if this was the time to read the book since my own mother has been in a memory care center since this past April.  She has been dealing with Alzheimer's for about the last ten years.  It hasn't been easy, but always makes me appreciate everything in my life.  My sister raved about the book and said it was an important one for us to read.  While I was driving down to Lincoln, Nebraska yesterday to visit our daughter, I read the entire book.  It is a short story at about 80 pages.  Such beautiful writing and one of the most touching stories I've even read.  Backman had such a powerful and meaningful way of getting inside the grandfather's head and what he was feeling while losing his memories.  This is definitely a WOW book.  

Who Should Read It:  Everyone!  Especially if you have known someone with Alzheimer's and/or have lost someone to this horrible disease.  It is such a unique, special, and touching read.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  5 STARS out of 5 Stars


No comments:

Post a Comment