Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Friday, November 25, 2016

The Astonishing Adventures of Fanboy and Goth Girl by Barry Lyga

How I Heard About It:  This was another audio book that I found when I quickly rushed into the public library to grab some new titles because I was in need of some new titles for the car (both for a car trip and my commute to and from work). 

What It Is About:  Fanboy is dealing with his sophomore year as best he can.  His mom is pregnant with his step "fascist" baby.  His best friend has decided to "hang" with the more popular kids.  He is the target of much "unwanted" attention from the "bullies" at school.  Pretty much nothing is going his way.  This is all about to change when he meets the girls in the stands who witnesses the daily bullying from his peers.  Fanboy begins this new friendship with "Goth Girl" via online conversations, but they soon meet, spend time together, and share their deepest and darkest secrets.  One of Fanboy's biggest secrets is that he has been working on a graphic novel that he hopes one day will be published and change his life for the better.  Goth Girl has an interesting in writing and comics and encourages him to pursue his dreamFanboy finds himself slowly coming out of this "shell" and venturing into unknown territory.  At first he things it will be all roses and butterflies, but soon realizes there may be more consequences to this new friendship than he originally thought. 

What I Thought Of It:  After I checked out the audio from the library, I sought out some reviews before I actually listened to it.  There were quite a few mixed reviews, but I decided to venture forward.  I loved the narrator of the story and the voice of Fanboy comes through loud and clear.  Even though he could be negative at times, I found myself really liking him.  This wasn't the typical kid being bullied story.  The plot was unique and fresh.  Fanboy and Goth Girl were quite a pair and two of the most interesting characters I have come to know via a fiction story.  There were some pretty raw, real, and "uncomfortable" parts in the story, but to me this is a sign of excellent writing.  I pleased that this title caught my eye during my quick visit to the library. 

Who Should Read It:  This is definitely a novel for the high school and/or adult reader.  I think many high schoolers will be able to relate to one or more of the "realistic" characters from the story.  Adult readers who enjoy young-adult novels will definitely find this a great read.  Happy Reading...

Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars






No comments:

Post a Comment