Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, December 4, 2016

Be Light Like a Bird by Monika Schroder

How I Heard About It:  I was lucky enough to receive a copy of this novel via my #bookventure twitter group.  I knew nothing of it, but it sure was fun to find it in my mailbox and read a new middle-grade story.  

What It Is About:  Sometimes in life we have to force ourselves to be "light like a bird" instead of getting buried under the weight of real life.  This is the life lesson that Wren must learn.  She has lost her father to a tragic airplane accident.  He has left her with her mother and they deal with this loss in very different manners.  Wren wants to honor, celebrate, and remember her father.  Wren's mother wants to forget about it, throw away all the memories, and run as far away as she can from their life.  The two of them pack up their belongings, get in the car, and venture off to a new city and new "life".  When things don't go well for Wren's mom in the first town, they head off again, and this pattern keeps repeating itself.  They finally settle in a new town, and Wren believes they can make a go of it.  She "navigates" her way with the new crowd of kids.  What she finds surprises both herself and the so-called girlfriends that surround her.  With a new and unique friendship building; Wren pursues her interests, passions, and dreams while trying to find her way back to "solid" mother/daughter relationship.  

What I Thought Of It:  I've said it before, but I'll repeat myself here again.  One of my most favorite things in life is finding a new book title that I know little about, starting that first page, and being completely engrossed in the story that I can't put it down.  That is exactly what happened with this story.  The character of Wren warmed my heart and wove her way into my veins that I felt like she was a real person telling me her story.  There were so many intricate plot developments scattered throughout the story that made it a deeply meaningful reading experience.  The friendship Wren made with the boy at school was such an incredible bond between two people; that it reminds me how important it is for every child to have that one special person in their life.  

Who Should Read It:  This middle-grade novel would be perfect for the female reader in grades five and/or six.  I know they would find the story of Wren to be personal, profound, and perfect.  I'm thinking the book would also make for a beautiful read aloud to a group of fourth, fifth, or sixth graders.  The members of my #bookventure group all have enjoyed the story, so I know other adults that read middle-grade fiction will be fulfilled with this beautiful story of Wren, her mother, and finding ourselves after a tragic loss.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  5 STARS out of 5 Stars

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this beautiful review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely book! Hope you find the perfect student to read this one.

    ReplyDelete