Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Thursday, July 6, 2017

The Twelve Lives of Samuel Hawley by Hannah Tinti

How I Heard About It:  I saw this title written up either in my local newspaper and/or a magazine that we get delivered to the house.  I'm always looking for strong novels written for adults and this one seemed to fit the bill.  

What It Is About:  Most of us get ONE chance in life.  Samuel Hawley isn't one of those people.  You could say he is either really lucky or really unlucky. Hawley gets himself into more dangerous situations that any one person could survive.  But Hawley is all about survival.  He doesn't make the best choices.  He hangs with unsavory men.  He takes on jobs that are both illegal and put his life at risk.  After meeting Lily, Hawley tries to change his ways, but finds it harder than he thought.  Lily and Hawley marry and begin a new life together.  As much as Hawley tries to move forward, his past won't let go of him and the two worlds continue to collide.  After their daughter Loo is born, Hawley tries even harder to make things right.  When he is left alone to care for Loo, he does everything he can to make sure life is easier for his daughter than it was for himself.  

What I Thought Of It:  I have been on a bit of a dry spell with my novels published for adults.  I haven't been able to find that novel that I just can't put down.  This book changed that.  I so enjoyed this story and found the reading to be quite enjoyable.  It is fascinating when you read about a character that isn't so "likable" but as the reader you actually like that character.  This was the case with Samuel Hawley.  As many times as he made a poor choice, I was rooting and cheering for him.  The relationship between Hawley and his daughter Loo was a complicated one.  The author did a tremendous job of describing the dynamics between father and daughter.  This might have been one of the reasons I had Samuel Hawley in my corner.  Above all, he tried to be the best father he could.  

Who Should Read It:  This is the perfect novel to read during summer vacation.  The book is such a strong work of fiction with incredible characters, a beautiful plot, and a complete page-turner.  The writing is top-notch and I know that all adult readers will enjoy the story as much as I did.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  5 STARS out of 5 Stars



No comments:

Post a Comment