Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Tuesday, August 15, 2017

John Lockdown is in the Building by Sally J. Pla

How I Heard About It:  This novel was sent to me via my #bookexpedition Twitter group.  I had read Sally J. Pla's first novel The Someday Birds and really enjoyed it.  It was exciting to learn that the author has a new novel coming out in February 2018.  I've heard some "news" that they may change the cover before the actual book is released.  

What It Is About:  Is the story about Stanley Fortinbras?  Or is the story about John Lockdown??:  Maybe the story is about both?  Stanley has anxiety out in the real world.  John Lockdown does not.  He is more like a "super hero".  Stanley doesn't cope well with his fellow students, crowds, or being out in public.  This isn't an issue for John Lockdown.  Stanley and his one buddy decide to enter a contest about comic book trivia.  He isn't sure he can handle it, but decides to give it a try.  When his friend ditches him to do the contest with someone else, Stanley thinks is it all over.  But John Lockdown encourages him to continue on.  Stanley actually teams up with his new neighbor girl named Liberty.  She is spending time with a family member away from her mother for reasons she isn't ready to share with anyone.  The two of them give it their all to win the trivia contest and come out as winners.  

What I Thought Of It:  As I mentioned above, I really enjoyed Sally J. Pla's first book.  It was a great and strong story that holds a special spot in my reading heart.  When I saw this book was on our  #bookexpedition list I signed up right away.  What I noticed first was how different this story was from her first novel.  I'm always amazed when authors can create unique and stand-alone stories.  I was completely entertained during the entire reading experience.  The characters of Stanley, John Lockdown, and Liberty were fascinating, interesting, and thought-provoking people.  I even liked some of the "mean/bully" characters because they added greatly to the over-all story.  I'm not a comic-book fan, but found myself interested in this aspect of the plot.  As I was reading, I was already thinking of future "comic-book" fans that would enjoy the book as much as I did.  

Who Should Read It:  I'm thinking this would make for a terrific read aloud in grades three, four, and/or five.  There is so much action, fun, and suspense throughout the whole book.  Individual readers in grades four, five, and six would be perfect for the story.  If you have a student that is interested in comics, then this would be great for them to read.  I'm excited for the actual book to be released in February and curious to see the new cover.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars


No comments:

Post a Comment