Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Tuesday, August 8, 2017

The Losers Club by Andrew Clements

How I Heard About It:  One of my largest author bins in my classroom library is Andrew Clements.  I must admit it has been awhile since I have read a Clements book.  I always book talk him each year.  There are some readers that just EAT his stuff up.  I grabbed an ARC of his newest novel at ALA.  It was the first book I read during my 21 Day/21 Book Challenge.  

What It Is About:  Alex is a "bookworm".  A full-fledged bookworm.  He has actually gotten himself in trouble with teachers because of how much he reads during class.  At the start of a new school year, the principal meets with Alec and tells him they are "onto" him and will be watching.  He must follow class expectations and do ALL of his work.  When his parents find out about this, they aren't happy either and give him ONE more chance to turn things around.  Alec and his brother must start the "extend-a-day" program after school because both their parents are working.  When Alex arrives on the first day he thinks this program will give him an extra THREE hours of reading time.  Wrong!  The leaders require every student to join a club.  Alec is not interested in any of the clubs so he decides to create his own club.  He calls it "The Losers Club" hoping that no one will want to join it.  He recruits one other student to be the second member which is all he needs.  When that member strikes a "chord" with Alec, he isn't sure what is happening.  It gets even worse when his "enemy" takes an interest in her.  Alec must make some choices related to the club, his friendships, and most of all; himself.  

What I Thought Of It:  It was so fun to get back to a Clements story.  I love his writing style.  He certainly knows kids and elementary school settings.  This story went straight to my heart.  How could it not?  A plot revolving around the love of reading and books is going to be my kind of story.  The cast of characters was top notch, interesting, and fun.  The story line moved along quickly and kept my interest the entire time.  Above all of this, there is a tremendous life lesson interwoven on every page.  I'm so excited to share this story with my new group of fourth graders.  

Who Should Read It:  This novel should be shared in grades three through six.  I'm thinking of doing it as a read aloud because I want the story, theme, and message to be shared with all of my students.  It would also make for a strong book club selection.  How fun would it be for a group of readers to read and discuss a story about reading and books.  I love it!  This was a great book to start my 21 day reading challenge.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  5 STARS out of 5 Stars



No comments:

Post a Comment