Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Wednesday, August 16, 2017

The Unlikely Story of a Pig in the City by Jodi Kendall

How I Heard About It:  I knew nothing of this book until I saw it listed on our #bookexpedition spread sheet.  I decided to give it a shot and added my name to the list.  

What It Is About:  Josie is growing up in a big family that lives in the very busy city.  She has older and younger siblings.  Sometimes she gets lost in the shuffle.  During the Thanksgiving holiday, her older brother brings home a runt that he rescued from a farm.  He and Josie talk their parents into keeping the pig as a "pet".  Their dad gives them until New Year's Eve to find a proper home for the little pig that will grow and get quite large.  Josie wants to keep the pig named Hamlet so badly that she is willing to do almost anything to make sure this happens.  While trying to take care of an ever-growing pig, she is getting herself ready for a major gymnastics meet.  Her family is struggling with monetary issues so she isn't sure how she will get the necessary equipment.  When the city finds out Josie's family has a pig living in their apartment, they show up and demand for changes to be made.  Josie and her siblings get busy making sure Hamlet is safe and ends up in the best home possible.  

What I Thought Of It:  When I first started the book, it reminded me of Saving Marty by Paul Griffin.  I was thinking it must be the year of the PIG.  For me, the story started out strong, but then lost me a bit toward the middle and end.  There are some middle-grade novels that captivate my attention and then there are others that are not as interesting for someone my age.  Yes, I'm getting to be an old man.  It was interesting to learn about all the struggles that Josie's family was facing.  I liked how the author didn't reveal all right away, but slowly as the story unfolded.  The writing was realistic and showed how a large family deals with the ups and downs of real life.  

Who Should Read It:  The book is a bit longer at a little over 300 pages.  I'm thinking readers would need to be in fifth and/or sixth grade.  A strong reader in fourth grade would also be appropriate for the novel.  For young readers that love animals, gymnastics, and/or comes from a large family; would be the perfect audience for this book.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  3 STARS out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment