Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, August 27, 2017

Welcome to Wonderland: Home Sweet Motel by Chris Grabenstein

How I Heard About It:  There is a large box in our entryway closet of books that I'm intending to read.  It is always so fun to go to the box and discover what I'm going to read next.  Some of the books are new and some have been there for quite some time.  This is one such title that has been waiting to be read.  I have both book #1 and #2 in the series.  I wanted to get them read so I can book talk them with my new students.  

What It Is About:  P.T. Wilkie doesn't live in a home.  He lives in a motel in Florida.  Life is pretty great living in this environment.  P.T. lives here with his mother and grandfather.  His grandfather created "Wonderland" motel just at about the time a park by Walt Disney was being created.  P.T. learns that the motel is in danger of closing down because of no customers and bills that are piling up.  When a newscaster and his daughter Gloria check into the motel, P.T. realizes he can help save the motel.  He and Gloria set into action a plan to bring in customers, new attractions, money, and get the place back on its feet.  Everything is gone well until two "thugs" show up searching for something that was left behind years ago by a woman they both knew.  These men complicate things for P.T. and Gloria, but they are up for the challenge.  

What I Thought Of It:  I have been reading such amazing stories in the last twenty-one days for my 21 Day/21 Book Challenge.  I was in the mood for something different, light, and fun.  This was exactly what I needed to fit that bill.  I always enjoy whatever Chris Grabenstein writes as do the students I teach.  It was a fun and exciting story with a lot of action, mischief, and antics.  Stories that have children going up against "evil" adults make for quite the engaging read.  This was a quick read and I look forward to reading the second book in the series.  

Who Should Read It:  I love these kinds of stories because they appeal to so many young readers.  There was just the right amount of text and lots of incredible illustrations.  The chapters were short.  They each ended with a "cliff hanger".  I can see readers in grades three through six enjoying the adventures of P.T. and Gloria.  This will be a novel that I book talk during the first few weeks of school.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars





No comments:

Post a Comment