Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, September 3, 2017

Bat and the Waiting Game by Elana K. Arnold

How I Heard About It:  After reading A Boy Called Bat, I was thrilled to learn that there was going to be a second story about this character.  The author was gracious enough to send my #bookexpedition Twitter group an ARC.  It was great to read more about Bat and find out what was going on in his life.  

What It Is About:  Bat, Thor the skunk, Bat's family, and his best friend are back for another installment in his life.  Everything is going well for Bat and his baby skunk until his sister can't watch him after school.  She has just gotten a role in the school play.  The family works hard to come up with a solution.  Bat will spend time after school with his best friend at his house.  Thor will stay with his mother at the animal hospital.  Bat has difficulties adjusting to these life changes which cause some problems at home, with friends and even at school.  The big night of his sister's play arrives and things don't go quite as expected.  

What I Thought Of It:  When I come across a novel that is perfect for fourth grade readers, it makes me so happy.  Elana K. Arnold has written such a great book for young readers.  The story is so engaging and the character of Bat is one that both adults and children will come to love.  There are many qualities he has that readers will be able to relate to.  I enjoyed the story and how it had some "simple" plot lines, but also had some complex and important issues that children face in their own lives.  I will definitely be including both BAT books in my classroom library.  

Who Should Read It:  I mentioned earlier, but I think this is the perfect book for third and fourth grade readers.  The text is appealing.  The illustrations are fantastic.  The chapters are short which I think is appealing to young readers.  Everything about this story "screams" middle-grade reader.  It is sometimes hard to find a true chapter book that isn't too long or too difficult.  That is not the case with this book.  Please look for it in March 2018 and until then, be sure to read A Boy Called Bat.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars


No comments:

Post a Comment