Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Monday, September 4, 2017

Clayton Byrd Goes Underground by Rita Williams-Garcia

How I Heard About It:  It was hard to attend the Scholastic Reading Summit, ALA, and #NerdCampMI and not hear about this story.  It seemed everyone was talking, and raving, about it.  So of course I had to read it and I also just finished listening to it via audio.  

What It Is About:  Take a young boy, Clayton, his grandfather, Cool Papa Byrd, and a band called the "Bluesmen"; and you have yourself a touching and heartfelt story.  Clayton loves to spend time with his grandfather, Cool Papa, but his mother isn't so thrilled about this.  Clayton loves music just as Cool Papa loves music, but his mother isn't too thrilled about the music.  Clayton wants to grow up to be a musician playing the blues.  What he really wants is to join his grandfather's "band".  Cool Papa tells him he must wait until the time is right.  Clayton is not patient.  When the unthinkable happens to Cool Papa, Clayton is angry, sad, and lost.  He can't figure out his place in the world.  He decides to go "underground" and find the Bluesmen so he can finally play the music that is inside of him.  Not thinking the plan all the way through; Clayton ends up with more problems than he began with.  

What I Thought Of It:  I read this quickly after #NerdCampMI to see if I wanted it to be one of the six selections I present for #MockNewbery.  I did pick it and have four copies ready for the new readers.  When I saw it on "Cloud Library" I downloaded it so I can listen during my first week back to work.  It was an enjoyable read and the narrator was incredible.  I really love Clayton's story.  He is a "cool" kid and one that follows his heart.  As I read, I learned so much about music, musicians, and the life that comes with it.  This story shows multiple perspectives about life, living, and love.  

Who Should Read It:  I'm going to use this chapter book as a #MockNewbery selection.  The book isn't too long and I think very attainable for fourth grade readers.  The language used and written is beautiful and because of that would make for an excellent read aloud.  In my opinion, readers should be in grades four and up to truly appreciate Clayton and his story.  Adults that enjoy music, the "blues", and all that goes with it; will surely enjoy this heart-warming story.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment