Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, November 12, 2017

Christodora by Tim Murphy

How I Heard About It:  It was either via a magazine, television, or online interview that I first heard about this author and novel.  The review was incredible and I knew I had to experience this story.  It was actually my first "Audible" book.  After this experience, I knew I will be using Audible in the future.  

What It Is About:  The Christodora is a historic building in the East Village in Manhattan.  The building has been housing a variety of tenants since 1928.  In the early 1980's, Milly and Jared begin their lives in the building.  They are both artists and hoping to make it "big".  Another resident of the building is Hector.  He is a Puerto Rican Aids activist who is also an addict.  His life intertwines with Milly and Jared over the next several decades.  When Milly and Jared "adopt" a young boy named Mateo, their lives will forever be changed.  Jared wanted his "own" child, but for personal reasons, Milly can't bring herself to have her own child.  She desperately wants to make a family with Jared and Mateo.  As Mateo grows into a young man his life crosses paths with Hector's journey and it isn't positive for either one of them.  Each character faces challenges, difficulties, and decisions that none of them want to make.  

What I Thought Of It:  WOW!  Not since I read A Little Life, have I felt such strong emotion while reading/listening to a novel published for adults.  The story of Milly, Jared, Hector, Mateo was real, raw, complex, and compelling.  Not only was their story incredible, but the supporting characters that surrounded them was just as engaging.  The path that some of the characters took was tough to read about, but Tim Murphy did the most outstanding job of describing what addicts go through and where drugs can take them.  There were several moments where I was cringing while listening to the story.  As I listened, I became extremely attached not only to the characters but to the situations in which were described in the book.  This is the kind of novel that makes me a lover of novels published for adults.  

Who Should Read It:   This novel isn't for the faint of heart.  There are some difficult scenes throughout the story.  If you are a reader who enjoys real-life, raw, and "dark" plots, then this is the book for you.  The character development in the book is unreal and like nothing I've read before.  I highly recommend this novel for all readers who are looking for an incredible novel.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  5 STARS out of 5 Stars


No comments:

Post a Comment