Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, December 9, 2017

Good Dog by Dan Gemeinhart

How I Heard About It:  I absolutely love Dan Gemeinhart novels.  They are some of my favorite middle-grade stories.  When I learned that he was going to be releasing his fourth novel in 2018, I was excited.  I had the opportunity to meet Dan in person at #NCTE17 in St. Louis.  He was also signing ARC's of the book which I was lucky enough to snag.  I'm now going to be sharing this incredible story with my #bookexpedition group.  

What It Is About:  Told from the point of view of Aiden's beloved Dog Brodie.  Brodie is in "flux" between the real world and heaven.  He is about to enter the world of "forever after", but before he does, he must return to earth to find his boy Aiden and make sure he is safe from the "monster".  All the other dogs plead with Brodie not to make the return and warn him of the dangers he faces.  He returns to Earth as a spirit and befriends a pitiful named Tuck and an ornery cat named Patsy.  They do everything in their "animal powers" to locate Aiden and make sure he is finally safe from the monster that was responsible for Brodie's demise.  The three of them face many dangers and have to overcome a group of "hellhounds".  Brodie just keeps on remembering the past with Aiden which drives him forward to find the young boy that he had shared his life with.   There is no bond quite as strong as that between a boy and his dog.  Especially a "good dog"!  

What I Thought Of It:  Another FIVE star novel from the very talented Dan Gemeinhart.  Each time I read one of his novels, I'm surprised in the fact that it is completely different from his previous book.  That is the sign of a truly gifted writer.  Being a "dog" guy, I loved this story.  I loved the fact that it was told from the point of view of Brodie and his "pals".  I loved the idea of a place between Earth and heaven.  There were so many incredible moments sprinkled throughout the story.  Brodie and his friends gave so much of themselves, not only to each other, but to the human boy Aiden.  The writing was top notch.  The characters were so well developed to the point they "jumped" off the page.  The action started on page one and didn't let up until the last sentence.  I can't say enough "GOOD" about the book.  Just be sure to put it on your TBR list so you are ready for it on March 27th.  

Who Should Read It:   Dan's books are perfect for the middle-grade reader.  I have students in my class reading both Scar Island and Some Kind of Courage and they can't put them down.  I know they will find the same thing with his newest work of fiction.  Every fourth, fifth, and sixth grade classroom need to have this in their collection.  Of course middle-school readers will also eat up the adventure of Brodie.  Not only will young readers love the story, but adult readers as well.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  5+ STARS out of 5 Stars





No comments:

Post a Comment