Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, January 14, 2018

The Upside of Unrequited by Becky Albertalli

How I Heard About It:  I have had this title on my radar for quite some time. When it made the Nerdy 2017 Awards list, I checked my Cloud Library app to see if my local library had it.  They did.  I downloaded it.  This was my first audio listen for the year 2018.  

What It Is About:  Molly and Cassie.  Cassie and Molly.  Twins that are alike.  Twins that are quite different.  Molly is a bit overweight.  Cassie is not.  Molly is a bit shy.  Cassie is not.  Molly is careful.  Cassie is not.  Molly has never been kissed.  Cassie has had many kisses.  Molly is straight.  Cassie is gay.  Molly has decided this is going to be the year where she isn't so careful.  She wants to take some risks.  She wants to live a little.  She wants love.  Molly goes about her new adventure with caution and care.  Her sister encourages her to get out there and show the world who she is.  When Molly meets not only one boy, but two, her safe and predictable world is turned upside down.  She has spent her life keeping herself safe from rejection.  Now she may have put herself in a position to not only be rejected by one boy, but two.  

What I Thought Of It:  The story started a bit slow for me and I was thinking it wasn't going to be the best "listen" to start the year with.  But after several chapters, I began to get to know Molly and started to enjoy her story.  I loved how different the twins were, how they supported each other, and how they dealt with their differences.  The supporting cast was outstanding and brought such life, energy, and emotion to the story.  There were moments when I couldn't relate to the story, but I am a 50 year old man.  However, most of the time I was completely content listening to the story and found myself chuckling from time to time.  I'm not sure the overall story was as strong as I was thinking it was going to be, but I'm glad I listened and got to experience Molly and Cassie's adventure navigating the world of high school, friendship, and love.  

Who Should Read It:   This is the perfect novel for the female high school reader.  I don't mean to say males can't read it, but I think females will be able to relate to Molly, Cassie, their friends; and all that they went through.  Readers who read Becky Albertalli first novel, I'm sure will enjoy this one.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars





No comments:

Post a Comment